Thursday

Menstruation- OMG what did you just say?


Yesterday I was having a small talk with one of my roommates. Girls gossip you know! She is the one who has recently got married and obviously dying to stay with her husband. Her husband lives in Chennai and she is stuck in Mumbai for the job. And I appreciate the fact that she is working after marriage. It’s not that common in Indian society to continue your job after marriage when your husband is at different part of the country. Here the girl has to adjust. Hence forth, she tried her level best to make herself transfer to Chennai which she succeeded eventually. So now the whole anxiety thing prevails as to when the date of transfer will come and she would be with her husband.


She is a damn nice girl. Completely like an elder sister to me. Helping me out whenever I needed, guiding and adjusting with my craziness. And she cares for me I could tell. She is cute, beautiful, frank and an awesome cook. I love her. Well the post isn’t about her but the discussion we had. She was discussing about the good times she had back at her in laws place, and how she has to do stuff as formality like visiting every relative and bringing them gifts, greeting the elders, have a pallu on her head all the time and so on. We always use to discuss this kind of stuff; well I should say my roommates always use to discuss this kinda stuff. Not their fault, I understand their phase. One is recently married and one is getting married in couple of days.

So while telling me the stories one thing she mentioned which kind of was stuck in my head. It was about something that some people consider as unholy. Now you must be thinking what on earth I am talking about. Well I am talking about the menstrual cycle that us girls go through. Yeah, that is unholy. Even some consider it as impurity; as if the impure blood is harmful and  hence women are designed in such a way that every month the impure blood drains out to cleanse our guts. Funny!

Sad thing is even after being educated people use to ignore these things or feel offended when the word comes to any discussion. As if the word itself is unholy. It makes me laugh. Why is it unholy? What is in it to be ashamed of? Why is it a taboo? Why being educated also we cannot deal with it? I have read enough articles and blogs ranting on this topic and today I am doing the same (which I thought I would never coz it’s cliche)

So the story was:
  
You know we have gone to visit my some-in-laws’ home. I don’t remember who exactly, doesn’t matter and suddenly I realized I am on periods. I was so scared, as now what to do? I can completely understand the feeling when you get your periods before they were supposed to happen. I was uncomfortable. I was afraid to ask for a sanitary pad. why the hell was that! You know how they would feel. Nope I don't know I am the new daughter-in-law(nayi naveli dulhan) I was afraid to sit as I was conscious it would be inappropriate to stain their couch. That’s trueBut thank God my husband’s mom and dad had not yet arrived so I asked my husband to take me to any medical shop so that I would buy a sanitary napkin and then in our way back I would go to any mall and use the washroom to put it on. OMG Seriously! Did she actually think that? So we went to buy sanitary pad They went, I cannot believe this but going to a mall would have wasted a lot of time and would have aroused suspicion so we came back and I used their washroom. Obviously you should have done that at the first place, instead of “thinking” to go a mall! I stuffed the pad in my purse and used the bathroom. Still I was feeling weird o take the hand bag to the washroom. All went well. Thank God.

Well I did not speak a single word while she narrated the story. I could not think of anything to say. I was mad at the society for making this a taboo. I am not judging her. She was right, she has to make a good impression. The fault is with the people. Why can’t she be open about it to whoever she visited? There were ladies too, they would have understood. Even if they were no ladies, I am pretty sure every man in this world is aware of the menstrual cycle. So why to feel ashamed about it?

These were the questions sprung in my mind. Why we are not supposed to talk about it. Men have no idea how it feel to bleed for three to six days day and night. The pain we suffer, the leg cramps, the sore breasts, the instability of mind moreover the PMS. And we deal this every fucking month. God has designed woman this way. Nothing is unholy nor is the blood we bleed out is impure. It is when the ovary could not meet any sperm to fertilize it leaves the vagina taking out the lining of the uterus with it. It is been taught in high school. Every boy and girl knows that. Still you see it with contempt.

I wonder how in the past there were so many rules a girl has to follow. She was struggling with the pain plus she could not mingle with people or talk to them rather she would be locked away in a room until she becomes clean. Anything she touches becomes unholy (again comes the word!)

Well, this is nothing we like. It is what the nature has decided for us. We are dealing with it. So you guys deal with it too. And the elder women of the society, you already know how it feels so why don’t you be a bit of open minded and accept what is right not what has been done since ages.

It could have been very simple if she (my roommate) would have approached to a member of the family she visited, whoever she was comfortable with, should have told her about the situation. As she was a guest, the family would (or I should say “should”) have taken care of it. It could have been that easy if and only if she had approached which she didn't. Why? Because she was afraid of the society and the people and the stupid taboos.

I look forward to the day where we don’t feel bad or offended talking about this to anybody (father/brother/ guy friends) and they should accept it as a normal process. We don’t have to pack the sanitary pads in newspaper in order to hide. Be good to her (girl on periods) and take care of her rather than shutting down the world on her. We ourselves make the society and we have to be cool to these matters to make the society or at least the future society worth living.


No comments:

Post a Comment